When can you tell if you have a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PuffMommy, Jul 5, 2008.

1. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    Chicks are 5 weeks old and one of the buff's def. looks different from the rest - bigger and more comb and waddle going on - and seems to have a different "peep" than the others. Also, he/she is the least timid of me when I'm in with them and always the first to escape out of the run if the door is open a second too long. I'll have to post a pic soon but are these signs of a rooster or could this one just be growing at a faster rate? Thanks!

2. spencereb

spencereb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    PuffMommy,

Interesting observations on your part. But, I'm not sure that all those differences will ultimately shake out to be a roo, but then I'm certainly no expert.

I reckon when he tries to crow, he's a roo. Short of that, just the prominent comb...until someone else with more experience chimes in, and that shouldn't take too long!

Good luck,
    -Spence

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Your physical description sounds like a roo. When you can post a pic I'm sure there will be someone that can tell you for sure. As far as behavior, I don't give that much credit and here's the reason: Even in flocks without a roo, you're going to have hens that are more dominant than others and they can exhibit the same type of behavior you described. My two roosters are as different behavior-wise as night and day; ones braver, more outgoing, while the other is very timid and laid back.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Try this.

Remove several of the flock to a remote area, so that there are only half remaining, inlcuding the ones you think are males. Normally the dominant male will begin cheeping very loudly when he realizes that the others are missing. So that is one you can ID.

Also within 4-6 weeks, males begin outgrowing the females, getting taller and developing combs. They also "carry" themselves more upright and with some close observation give themselves away by their dominant behavior.

None of this is foolproof, mind you, but it can give you a head start on them. I mark them at this stage with a leg band and see how good I do at guessing. Usually I nail it.

5. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    thanks for the replies. i'll try to get a picture up soon and see what you all think...when can i expect the crowing to start? need to come up with a game plan - neighbors will not be pleased...

6. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    My suprise roo started crowing at about 7 weeks (last week). He's actually not very good at it. [​IMG] I've heard that some do start out with a full blown crow though.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Want ot get rid of excess cockerels? There is only one word you need to know: Hispanics.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  8. princess buttercup

princess buttercup New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    UpState NY
    Quote:Want ot get rid of excess cockerels? There is only one word you need to know: Hispanics.

What does this mean?

9. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Puffmommy, sounds like a roo to me. But you can wait a while and see if he continues to develop roo characteristics.

I also do not know what the previous post means.

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Do your neighbors have dog?Have you been listening to their dogs yap over the years? That is the case in my neighborhood. I have been the only one NOT to own a dog so my neighbors dare not complain to me about my Roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by