When can you tell sex of a Mallard???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Aug 2, 2010.

1. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    When can you tell the sex of a Mallard??? If the duckling is starting to get some brown feathers can I assume it is a female? What about the bill and feet? My little guy has a dark bill and kind of dark feet.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I started noticing the difference when they were about 6 weeks old. Thats when my female started quacking loudly. A couple of weeks later i noticed the difference in beak color.

3. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chirping

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    I've been confusing myself. I first thought we had 2 males and 3 females, then I thought 3 males and 2 females... no I'm thinking we're down to 1 female and 4 males. We purchased them at about a week old back in the beginning of April. 1 of them is clearly a female, the other 4 I swear are male, but only one has the curled drake feathers, and about an 80% green head. The others are showing some green, have no curled feathers, and the bills are in the middle of the hen and the drake's.

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Nope, both sexes have the brown feathers in juvenile plumage. Male's bills will eventually turn yellow and the females will stay dark, but you'll be able to voice-sex long before that happens. [​IMG]

shchinchillas - If you got them back in April you should definately be able to voice-sex them! Females make the loud, "QUACK QUACK...QUACK QUACK!" sound, and the males are more raspy...sort of whispery, like they have laryngitis. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  5. Snipes

Snipes Songster

May 15, 2010
    I have some ?s on this too if the OP doesn't mind the slight hijack. One of my mallards started making slight quacking noises at two weeks and has sounded slightly different than the other two since, but is not actually quacking so much yet. Is this a sign it is a female and that the other two are male? Second, last week when they were 5 weeks, in the sun all of tops of their heads looked green. Is this normal or does it mean they are all probably male?

6. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I don't mind - this is the first Mallard I have had so anything I can find out is good. I still have not found out where mine came from, and am wondering if a wild duck could be born with small wings and maybe that is why he was off on his own. Maybe mom pushed him out.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Songster

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:I know I've seen some 5 week old wild mallard ducklings start to get some green around their heads. But, it would quickly change back to brown again within the next week or two. I don't know if this is normal or not in domestic mallards. It's possible that they're all male, but you might have to wait until they're a little older to find out for sure.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

8. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Grab them. After they are 7 weeks you will clearly hear the difference. The girls will quack scream their brains off then you hold them. The boys sound like the have a sore throat and can get their voice going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by