1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can you treat your chicks to cracked corn??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by funonahonda, May 4, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have 4 to 6 week old chicks and they are free ranging some, When or can I now give them some cracken corn when they are free ranging??

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as it's not scorching hot out, a tiny bit will be fine now.

3. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Why would it matter if it is hot out??

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Cracked corn heats up the chickens body temps so it should be very limited on super hot days. Helps keep them warm on real cold days.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Well said.

Corn is a high energy/low protein feed. We call it carbohydrate and they used to call such things 'carbonaceous'. Such feeds offer energy for the birds when it is cold, but do little extra when the weather is warm.

It can also dilute the nitrogenous elements of the diet, which we call protein. Corn only has about 10-12% protein. In warmer months, when the bird has little need of keeping the "fires burning," this dilution can be detrimental. The bird is busy with its business, procreating and generally "making hay" while the weather allows. For this they need protein in their food.

But chickens are stupid, God bless 'em. They will eat what they like with little regard for all the fuss we go through to provide them a good diet. Thus, you will find at least some of your flock prefers the corn and will eschew the more "proper" diet.

So it is recommended you stick to a balanced feed ration in the main, and only deviate from that when you know why you should.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  6. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    what is the best thing for them to eat?

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    what is the best thing for them to eat?

"... it is recommended you stick to a balanced feed ration in the main, and only deviate from that when you know why you should."​

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by