When can you usually tell the sex of a Silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jettgirl24, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I know Silkies are pretty hard to sex... I've seen many people say you might not know until they start crowing or laying... Just wondering when you can usually tell because I'm planning on entering my Silkie in the fair. It will be 17 weeks at that point and the entries close the week before that so it'll be 16 weeks when entries close. Will I be able to tell by that point if little Silkie baby is a he or a she? I was going to enter them now since I can do it online but then I realized that I don't know if I should enter as a cockerel or a hen [​IMG]

Here's a couple of pictures of the little one just for good measure even though I know you won't be able to tell yet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    I dont know, but they look like pullets, not a hint of comb [​IMG]

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    That chick is Far to young to sex, even if it wasn't a silkie. How old is it now? I could sex my silkies by the time they were 14 weeks, but I spent a ton of time around them watching their behavior and growth

4. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    That pic was taken at about 2 weeks old I believe. It's now 5 weeks old. I know it's too young to sex in that picture, not trying to do that... Just sharing it cuz it's pretty darn adorable if I do say so myself [​IMG] I'm just hoping I'll be able to tell it's sex by the time entries close for the show. As I mentioned it will be 16 weeks when entries close... I reeeaaally don't want to be a) embarassed and b) eliminated if I sex it wrong for the fair [​IMG]

I've been watching behavior a lot with this one... I have it in the brooder with another crossbred chick from the same hatch (you can see it in the 1st pic) who is a rooster. Also in the brooder are three babies that are from a batch that I hatched three weeks after the Silkie and it's brother. Ever since I put the little ones in the brooder, the Silkie has gethered up the younger babies and it sits on them like they belong to it. It's pretty cute and has me crossing my fingers for pullet. In all reality I don't care if it's pullet or roo though - it's a gorgeous little baby and I'm pretty confident that it will grow up to be a perfect bird to start my breeding flock with. I'm planning on getting some more eggs or babies this summer - just have to find the right breeder.

In any case, I hope we know one way or the other prior to the show. I really want to show this little one off!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:He/she is very pretty [​IMG]
    I could tell the genders of mine at about 6-7 weeks but they're Australian silkies and different from your standard [​IMG]
    I looked for the length and thickness of legs/feet, stance (standing high or low to the ground), personality - not always definitive - comb of course and looked for some streamers. Usually there aren't any streamers yet but roosters will have pouffes that slant backwards ..... 99% of the time. i can't tell yet for yours, sorry [​IMG]

6. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Seventeen weeks is waaaaaay too young to show a bird. Birds really shouldn't be shown until the are at least 7 months old, especially with Silkies. They are so hard to sex and even at 17 weeks, you probably won't be able to tell then what sex it is.

Talk to anyone who has shown or a show judge and they will tell you how old they should be.

I even know of someone who showed a black Silkie for over a year and a girl and it turned out to be a boy. Over a YEAR!!!! He was that good at hiding it. Keep that in mind and maybe wait until next year before you show it.

7. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Seventeen weeks is waaaaaay too young to show a bird. Birds really shouldn't be shown until the are at least 7 months old, especially with Silkies. They are so hard to sex and even at 17 weeks, you probably won't be able to tell then what sex it is.

Talk to anyone who has shown or a show judge and they will tell you how old they should be.

I even know of someone who showed a black Silkie for over a year and a girl and it turned out to be a boy. Over a YEAR!!!! He was that good at hiding it. Keep that in mind and maybe wait until next year before you show it.

LOL! Maybe we'll wait on that one then.... We're just going for fun and free fair tickets though and the they will allow any birds over 16 weeks to be shown as pullet/cockerel. Maybe we'll consider taking my BO hen instead but I'd really rather take the Silkie cuz I'm so in love with it [​IMG] I need to take new pictures... You should see it's leg and booty feathering now, it's a giant puff ball! So cute! Can you tell this is my first Silkie? I'm loving watching this one grow up!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by