when can...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ma2babygurl13, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    baby ducks go out? I have 2 4 week old ducklings (1 runner 1 swedish) they are inside off heat (only a florescent for light) they are housed with 7 chicks that are 5 weeks old. I plan on moving the chicks outside to my baby coop this weekend (it is a rabbit hutch where the "outside" pen is open on 2 sides, has a full roof and a seperate house area that is fully enclosed.) The temps have been hot and humid here high 80's to mid 90's during the day, and mid 70s at night. Will they be ok? They still dont have much in the way of feathers right now is that ok?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Wow, you have waited that long. Mine were set out at 2 weeks with heat at night, but we still had freezing night temps back then. Let them out, they will thank you for it. Make sure they have plenty of water and shade to escape the full sun and heat.

3. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    ok I am such a worry wart, so afraid they will get chilled. With chicks I have always heard that they should be fully feathered or at least mostly feathered... and since these poor guys still are down covered I was worried they wouldn't stay warm enough [​IMG] oops guess that is what happens when your a first time duckma.... Well they will be happy to see the sunshine and feel the grass I'm sure tomorrow is a brand new day for them [​IMG]

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

It's not just the amount of feather that dictates their well being. Its also body size which means muscle and fat tissue. Plus their circular system is so much bigger now. They will be fine and they will love it. Give them a nice kiddie pool to play in. Just make sure they have a way to get in and out of it. I usually just put in a concrete block inside of the pool since all my pools have a deck and stairs build for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by