When Chciks puff out their hackle feather and look like they are sparing.

crazyelk

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
When Chciks puff out their hackle feather and look like they are sparing are they showing roo traits that young? They were doing this a couple weeks after they hatched. or could they be pullets and just playing?

hope4rainbow

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
I have 3mo pullets that do that. Mainly when their cockerel tries to be the boss and they are like "Uh, no!" at him.

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
Like mentioned, pullets do it to. They are at "that age" where they are more-or-less figuring out the pecking order and are bumping chests and things like that. Very amusing to watch.

crazyelk

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks!!! I also heard my first crow out of a couple chicks that are about 4 weeks old. Are these definitely roos?

crazyelk

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
Sounded like lil squeaky birds. I put them a new roost in the coop and these two lil banty roosters got up on the roost and gave it all they had. Wish I had thought to take video. It was pitiful but it was funny.

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
You heard CROWING from four week olds? Holy crap!

Sounded like lil squeaky birds. I put them a new roost in the coop and these two lil banty roosters got up on the roost and gave it all they had. Wish I had thought to take video. It was pitiful but it was funny.

Mine started at 4 weeks old as well - and he sounded like a choking goose. XD

Here is the big man now - Mr. Darcy -

hope4rainbow

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
That would be really funny, I'm sure! Our Buttercup cockerel started trying hard at 7wks and got the full thing at 8 but it still sounded pitiful! He had the basic cock-a-doodle-do! But it definitely wasn't roo sounding! Lol

Top Bottom