When chick arrives

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tigger123, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Tigger123

Tigger123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    I have a pair of silkies and the hen has been sitting on just 1 egg the whole time, is it normal just to have 1 egg? Also the egg is due to hatch this weekend, I want the hen to look after the chick naturally like in the wild and I have not got a heat lamp. Should I go and buy a brooder/ lamp in case or would my hen keep the chick warm? Please can someone help with this so I can be prepared as this is my first ever chick. Thanks

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Momma will do all the work - don't worry. She will keep it warm, show it where to eat and drink and protect it. Fingers crossed that it does hatch, but if you could get a couple of day old chicks and slip them under momma, once hers has hatched, it will be better for the chick. They thrive on company with chickens of the same age.

Good luck
    Ct

3. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    That's great advice thanks, I will see if there are any day old chicks but what if I end up with cockerels, what do you do with them?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    If you have no wish for one, then it's either the crockpot, selling it or giving away. If possible, you may be able to get some sexed chicks, which would be great.

Ct

5. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    Would the mum look after the sexed chicks though or will she reject them?

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015

I have no direct experience, but from what I have read it can go either way although I've read about more success stories than failures. I guess it's all down to the individual hen. If you don't try, you will never know - thats how I tend to look at things.

Ct

7. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    Day 19 and waiting to see if my 1 egg hatches, I am tempted to buy some fertilised polish eggs to put under my silkie hen after this one but would she sit on them for another 3 weeks?

8. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015

She may, but sitting results in a significant loss of condition and doubling that time would leave your broody more susceptible to illness as a result of poor condition. It's not something I would do.

Ct

1 person likes this.
  9. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    Day 21, my chick arrived, mum was looking after it and the cockerel took no notice and stayed away at other end of coop and by the afternoon we found the hen and cockerel had been pecking his head all over one side, so took chick out immediately and looking after him indoors, he is walking fine but cheating constantly, is it because he is in pain or calling for mum?

10. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Likely the latter - assuming you have a heat source

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by