When chickens won't leave the coop

mbach

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2018
Pennsylvania
So I have a question it's my first year with chickens. Here it has been snowing/rain/freezing rain and its supposed to get really windy and temps of -25 later. I opened the coop door and they will not leave the coop. The run is 50% covered and totally wrapped in plastic and that is were the food and water is . I know it isn't good to put water in the coop because of moisture (and them knocking it over) and I worry about frostbite, especially at that temp. But I'm worried they are going too long without eating and drinking. What should I do?

You need to physically remove them from the coop and put them at the waterer and feed.
Try also bribing them by offering their favorite treat near their feed and water. Hopefully they will figure out that they are safe and comfortable in their covered, wind protected run and will come out on their own after a few days of this.
Good luck.

Let them be chickens, they are not going to starve to death in a couple of days. Chickens know more about what they need than people do. Leave the set up as is, they know that and where the food and water is, don't confuse them and they will be fine.
These micromanagers. GEEEEZ that's why I retired I had one for a boss.

So I have a question it's my first year with chickens. Here it has been snowing/rain/freezing rain and its supposed to get really windy and temps of -25 later. I opened the coop door and they will not leave the coop. The run is 50% covered and totally wrapped in plastic and that is were the food and water is . I know it isn't good to put water in the coop because of moisture (and them knocking it over) and I worry about frostbite, especially at that temp. But I'm worried they are going too long without eating and drinking. What should I do?

You should make yourself
Some hot cocoa, watch TV, and make sure to check for eggs once in a while if losing any to freezing will cause you a short term egg supply shortage.

Let them be chickens, they are not going to starve to death in a couple of days. Chickens know more about what they need than people do. Leave the set up as is, they know that and where the food and water is, don't confuse them and they will be fine.

Thank you. I really wasn't sure. I'm from the land of horses where not drinking water is a huge deal.

Thank you. I really wasn't sure. I'm from the land of horses where not drinking water is a huge deal.

I'm from the land of horses too! I totally get your hydration concerns.
I can see my chickens in the run from inside my house, during mild weather they spend all day outside. During the cold snaps they all come out for 5-10 minutes at a time for some food and some water and then they retreat to the coop to puff up and conserve energy. Part of the run is wrapped so they might hide out away from the wind and pretend to enjoy being outside. On those cold days when I'm concerned that they haven't had much to drink I'll add some warm water to a bowl of their pellets, just to get a little extra moisture into them.

My girls are always hoping I have treats so once they hear me coming they come out. Even if I disappoint them at least I tricked them into coming out for a drink!

My girls will come out if I go out and sprinkle some fresh hay on the ground, and then some scratch. Gets them out every time!!!

Back
Top Bottom