When did chickens become exotic pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
For everyone who saw my thread about the Petsmart complaint, I got a reply email from some lady at the Petsmart HQ.

"Dear Cara,
Thank you for your recent email to us at Petsmart. I know you are concerned about our policy on bringing certain (exotic) pets into our stores, however this is our recent policy."

I'll just put that, the rest is the number to her. Now uhh? It seems that Petsmart isn't educated at all.. Kind of funny actually. If they really are exotic... I guess I have something to brag about to my friends.
tongue.png
Chickens are domesticated animals though.
Hey I know! Next time I go to Petsmart and I bring a chicken and they tell me to get out, I will take a long time looking at every aisle. I never wander to the cat aisles anyways, I am curious to look at things. Maybe I should grab a dog food bag and read the ingredients. That should take awhile.

Oh looky looky.
"Unlike cats and dogs, exotic animals have not been domesticated and remain wild. Even if they are bred for the pet trade and raised by humans, they may be unpredictable, largely untrainable, and in some cases, dangerous, especially as full-grown adults."
I'll just write this down on a note card next time I visit Petsmart.
big_smile.png

Sourland that's a great idea!

I wasn't in on the previous thread, but I am acquainted with a gal here who breeds parrots. Biosecurity is religion for such folks. Plus there is the question of safety for you bird. You can certainly expect to see dogs there. Yes they are leashed, but I've frequently seen huge dogs barely under the control of their owners at Petsmart. Plus your bird might be exposed to disease there just like any other venue where strange birds from multiple sources are present.

I wouldn't take a pet bird of any kind, chicken or otherwise, into a pet store.

wood&feathers :

Sourland that's a great idea!

I wasn't in on the previous thread, but I am acquainted with a gal here who breeds parrots. Biosecurity is religion for such folks. Plus there is the question of safety for you bird. You can certainly expect to see dogs there. Yes they are leashed, but I've frequently seen huge dogs barely under the control of their owners at Petsmart. Plus your bird might be exposed to disease there just like any other venue where strange birds from multiple sources are present.

I wouldn't take a pet bird of any kind, chicken or otherwise, into a pet store.

I am aware of those things, when we took our OEGBs they were in a box in a shopping cart. And dogs and cats might be exposed to diseases (and bugs) from other dogs and cats in there.
Not like I'd be taking a chicken in there everyday. I mainly want to prove to the thunderheads that not only dogs and cats should be allowed in Petsmart. Plus it's very rude for some employee to tell us to leave when we're browsing.​

I wish they'd stop allowing ppl to bring their pets into the stores. I've seen dogs hike their legs on the end caps more than once and my 5 y/o niece stepped in a pile of dog crap.

While standing in line to pay I've been 'rear ended' many times by people's dogs and I don't appreciate it one bit. I tell the owners to get their dog's nose outta my behind and I ask them how they'd feel if I brought my anaconda or a ball python into the store with me and let therm 'play' with their rear ends. People actually don't believe they're in the wrong. Not one person apologized for not watching their dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom