When did it quit? *pic*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmandaKyle, Mar 10, 2017.

1. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    First time hatcher. I set 3 eggs in the Brinsea Mini Advance on February 21st. All three were developing at first candling (Day 4ish?) but after that I've been perplexed by one of them that looked different than the others. Tonight (Day 17) I candled and was positive it was a quitter because it didn't fill the whole egg, no movement, no veining, and sort of visibly sloshed when moving it gently.

This was my "test" hatch prior to the 8th Annual Hatch-a-Long, but of course, you get attached even when you don't mean to! These were local eggs from someone in a FB group, so they were fresh and not shipped beyond two short car rides. This one had a slight bit of white poop on it, but I din't have a safe cleaning agent, so I set it anyway. I'm assuming the bacteria on the shell is why it quit.

Just curious as to what day-ish you all think it may have stopped developing on?

(Also, I am holding it in my hand because my 9 year old daughter wanted to examine it. She's either going to grow up to be an amazing surgeon, or the next Marilyn Manson. Only time will tell.)

[​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I think this might help you, especially with an inquisitive child on your hands

[​IMG]

My son was 6 when we first started hatching. I wasn't sure rather or not to include him in the eggtopsies of the quitters. I talked to him about them, was confident he could handle them, and he's always been present during them. He even makes his own observations which are very relevant. He's 9 now, but it's amazing how much interest they show at a young age.

3. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    I actually did the eggtopsy with my 9yo daughter and my 7yo stepdaughter. I explained to them that it might be very sad to look inside the egg, but they were adamant. I told them I was going to look first, just in case, but after I examined it I let them look. My stepdaughter was pretty unimpressed by the whole thing. My daughter wanted to closely examine the embryo.

It's actually funny because when I candling them last night, my stepdaughter was all about it, while my daughter initially wasn't interested. Then we did the eggtopsy and my stepdaughter wasn't interested, but my daughter was all about it. Kids are weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by