When did this one die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farrier!, May 12, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    At what point this this chick die? It has been 2 days, are the others gone too by now?
    How long do I let them sit in the incubator and hope?
    [​IMG]

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    my guess would be day 14-16?
    i would leave the others in at least 3-4 days past the due hatch date. try candling them and see what's going on in there. if you still can't see anything i would just leave them in. what day are you on? was there a temp spike or power loss?

oh- you might want to put ::warning-graphic picture:: in the title. might help our more sensitive or squeamish users [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. farrier!

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks..... power loss for days, temp dropped down to 85 at one point then 92 about 24 hours later.
    I had to drive the eggs down the road to get them plugged in then back again.
    The ones that are left are on day 24-25.
    This egg rolled and broke. If it died before being broke then the first temp drop killed them and the others are lost too it looks like.
    I was hoping it died from breaking rather then the temp drop....oh well....

I had more eggs in the incubator, I will find out in a few days if I killed all of them too.

4. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    aww, it wasn't your fault they lost their lives! you don't have yourself to blame, these things happen. [​IMG]

i've lost alot of hatches due to similar problems. you might want to leave them in for a day or two more if you see solid black, or any movement. the lower temp might have slowed development. some people say i have a problem with giving eggs a chance when all hope seems lost, but you never know when you'll save a life!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    The low temps might have put them behind a bit. Candle them to see if you can see movement or put the egg to your hear to see if you can hear any scratching.
    If they egg broke, the chick would have been alive for a while, so I''m sure it had died before the egg broke.
    So sorry for all your trouble.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
  7. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:wow, what a great link! thanks, it works much better than my guess.

8. farrier!

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It looks like the temp dropped killed them... [​IMG]
    I do not have a good reliable candler so I put the next day 18 batch in the hatcher/incubator. All I could tell is they were dark. I guess the next few days will tell.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by