when did you give fruits?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueheaven, Apr 26, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    anyone...
    when did you start giving your chicks fruits/veggies/pasta?

thanks

2. Matoe

Matoe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    crystal coast NC
    i'm new at all this but I have a small restaurant and have been making my chicks a vege smoothy at week 1 and at week 3 I chop leftovers and they don't leave any behind No more leftovers yea O chicks are fat and happy have not lost any of the 34 Pura Vida

3. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    good to know.
    thanks!

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I usually don't give my chicks anything like that until they are on grower feed. So usually after 2 months.

5. Peckerhead

Peckerhead New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    Southern Tier NY
    I wish I would have read more before starting but none have died yet (except one that got fell on by our 4 year old). I've been feeding our chicks grapes and cherry tomatoes from pretty much day one. I cut them up and no matter how many chunks you throw in there they all fight over one piece. I read how much they love yogurt so that was offered since day one as well and they all turn up their beaks at it. If they accidentally get some they rub their beaks in the dirt to get it off. I've checked it to make sure it isn't sour and it's still good, plain yogurt. Guess maybe my chicks prefer ice cream [​IMG] our chicks are about 3-4 weeks old now.

6. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    I'm also new to this, and gave mine finely chopped grapes, yogurt, oatmeal, diced strawberry tops when they were a week+ old.

But they HAVE to have grit available if you do that. Very important.

All 40 have lived so I'd probably do it again since in the wild, I think they'd start trying to eat what they saw their mom eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by