When did you have your nest boxes ready for " practice "?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vjbakke, Jun 20, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I have some gold sex links and I know they mature early, what age should I have the next boxes open for them to start " practing" laying eggs. They are 12 wks old now. They should be laying at 16 wks plus?

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I have Golden Comets too! (Eastern NC). Provide nesting box by 13 weeks with nesting box. Put in some ceramic eggs... want the girls to learn not to peck eggs, as well as where to lay them! I feel like if they peck at the ceramic eggs & don't get rewarded, they'll realize there's nothing in it for them if they peck at the real eggs in the box when the time comes!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I put mine out at 16 weeks originally.

Now I have all ages, so mine are "out" all the time. [​IMG]

4. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    I love the ceramic egg idea, thanks!

I had my nest boxes in the coop from day one (the girls moved into the coop at week eight) I figured that it wouldn't hurt fr them to know ahead of time where they could nest. We are in week nineteen now and two eggs have been laid in the box [​IMG]

5. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, I also have 2 doms that I know will probably start laying a later than the goldies. Right now we have boxes blocking the nesting boxes so they wouldn't start sleeping in them. So in about 3 weeks I'll take out the boxes and see how it goes.

6. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I just set up my nest boxes with fresh hay and ceramic eggs this weekend. My girls will be 16 weeks on Thursday. Their combs and wattles are starting to POP! [​IMG] Can't wait for my first egg!

7. samouw

samouw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    Where do you get the ceramic eggs?

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think craft stores. I have wooden eggs and golf balls in mine. I got the wooden eggs at the farm supply store.

9. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    Quote:i have seen them on e bay as well.

10. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I got my ceramic eggs from eggcartons.com. I bought a half dozen of the white ones. They have them in brown too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by