When did you learn you had a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fallenone05, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Fallenone05

Fallenone05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Oklahoma
    This is going to be an odd thread and I'm looking for a discussion of your various experiences with baby chicks!

My little chicks have turned two weeks old this week. I know that most sex characteristics come out around 5-6 weeks, so I've got a few more weeks to make sure.

But this is a question about any personality development you noticed early in rooster chicks vs hens!

Ive got an adopted bantam d'uccle and my standard hatchling that are two weeks old. The bantam is absolutely stuck on mom. They are right under her feet and are always attentive for when she calls them for food or when she walks around.

However, her hatchling is fairly independent for two weeks old! They also run over when she calls them for food, but they're perfectly content to sit alone, dust bathe, and to slightly walk away from momma or to let her walk away while they sunbathe in the grass.

This has me curious if they're showing early signs of rooster independence, or if this is an independent hen!

What do yall think?
    Have you noticed any personality development from rooster chicks that seems to be common, like independence or an attitude?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I have noticed that cockerels seem to be a little more confident and independent. They always seem to the be the first to jump on my lap, and generally investigate things on their own. This is of course, a generalisation - there are plenty of confident and inquisitive little girls, and some quiet and nervous little fellas.

CT

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

Red wattles at 5-6 weeks tells the tale for me...I don't speculate much otherwise.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not sure of this thread??
    I new at three weeks old if mine are roosters...Do you want help knowing if you have Roosters??
    Confused.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Not Florida
    I do notice some differences. I had a chick, that at two days old, puffed up and "locked on" to my finger with his gaze when I was moving him to the side with my finger. He's now a handsome cockerel.......

They are also usually the first ones to do things, like Chris said.
    -Banti

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I got it now!!
    Three weeks old depending on the breed I new they were Roosters.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Last summer I had a rash of unexpected and un-ordered cockerels. On the Cream Legbar, I noticed at three-days old he had significantly less wing development than the other Legbar chick. On another Cuckoo Marans cockerel, I got the tip he was a boy when he started tid-bitting at age five weeks. Soon after that, he crowed at age six weeks.

9. Fallenone05

Fallenone05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Aah! Thank you all so much! :) It's fun to guess but I'm so eager to see what I have with my baby!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is it at 3 weeks old! Next Wednesday (s)he will be 4 weeks and it's so suspenseful.

Father is a Speckled Sussex and mother a Production Red!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by