When did your Ameraucanas start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carolyn252, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

My white splash Ameraucana was hatched in late February '09; hasn't layed an egg yet. I'm guestimating that she's about 34 weeks old. We're in New York, so winter is coming on soon. Lately, it's been about 40 to 50 degrees at night and 50 to 60 degrees during the day. They free range in a big yard for about three hours a day with lots of sunshine. The rest of the time, they're in their run. The run is entirely covered in clear plastic roofing panels, so there's plenty of daylight in there. I'm wondering what is the oldest laying age that you all have found with your Ameraucanas (for when they laid their first egg). i.e., what's the longest time that I still have to wait to get an egg from her. Am also wondering of course if the cold of winter or the shorter days of winter will keep her from laying for another six months when Spring arrives. (Yikes !) What's your best guess? She's very lively; eats and drinks well; coos and clucks and seems real happy. Loves to lie down with one leg and one wing outstretched in the sun whenever she wanders into a spot of sunshine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by