When did your baby chicks move outside?

mrsemma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
So just curious, when did you put your babies out permanently? Our girls are 4 weeks old and we are finishing up the coop & run now. They seem anxious to explore & always happy for outside time but 5-6 weeks seems so soon so I thought I'd run a little poll.

This coming week the highs are mid-upper 90s & the lows are in the upper 60s (thank goodness for those lows, I'm so over summer & hot weather!!!)

Thanks for your input!!!

Emma

My girls (11 of them) are coming up on 4 weeks old. I have them in a watermelon box, but even that is starting to get small, plus they are jumping up on the pvc feeder and then to the lip of the box. They are just roosting there, and have not decided to jump off...yet. My coop should be finished this week and in they go. Now I did read another article that said to keep them in the coop only, no run for a couple weeks so they get use to their new home.

So glad to see I'm not the only one sometimes going...umm, what now? lol

Keith

We moved our chickens outside when they were old enough not to need the heat lamp anymore. Seems like every time I ordered new chickies it was cold out. So that was my reasoning for that. But they do seem to get a little larger and cramp quarters are no longer suffice. Our coop has doors that stay locked and is made for 8. So we had no problems keeping them safe and moving them outdoors when the time was right.

So, the consensus is I'm trying to baby them too much. LOL

Seriously though, thank you so much for your advice. The Hubs is use to me over babying things and has learned to live with it.

Our coop and run should be done by the time they are 6 weeks old. (still trying to map out windows, doors, vents etc.) Currently they are in a brooder in my bathtub. I keep the brooder elevated on plywood on buckets so they can see out. I also am soooo thankful I lined the tub with cheap shower curtain so it will make for easy clean up of all the shavings they kick out. I keep the lid on the tote when I'm not in the bathroom with them, but I have 3 who can jump and roost on the edge of the tote and one of which who likes to sit on my shoulders and pick at my hair and ears every day. :) They really are a lot of fun!

They still have a fair amount of space to run around and love making a mess of everything. I can't believe how much they poop!!

I don't think we are going to lock them in the coop right away, Might do it for a couple days if they don't get it right away. It's a very 'roll with the flow' and 'learn as we go' type thing.

Keep that advice rolling in!!!

Hey, I'm in Bakersfield too! Since the cold weather really hasn't been a concern, we moved our chicks outside at 3 and a half weeks, and they've done great. Along with their waterer, I keep dishes of fresh water out during the day so they can get their feet wet. The heat was always my main concern, so making sure they have tons of shade and air flow and water to drink and splash in has worked really well. They haven't had a problem at all during the night. They're now 8 weeks old and I haven't had any problems.

I’ve had mine, all 17 of them, outside since they arrived in the mail on day 1. No need for a heat lamp here, it’s been 95-100 for highs and 75-80 for lows. All are healthy and fine. The sooner they adjust to the outdoor weather, the better. Of course, within reason. At some point it’s too cold for them.

Well, my broody hens raise their chicks outdoors from day one
big_smile.png
. I figure if they can be out and about in early spring or in the fall, just going under momma to warm up, then my brooder babies can go out pretty early also. During the summer, I try to have them outside around 3 weeks, and just run the light at night for another week or so, depending on the temps.

Back
Top Bottom