When did your buff orps start laying?****UPDATE 12/23 with Photo****

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smiley, Dec 18, 2009.

1. smiley

smiley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    My girls will be 6 months on 6/29. Still, no eggs!!!!

I am in New England so it's cold but my black sex links seemed to have started laying much earlier in the same weather conditions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Mine started laying at 21 weeks. This was just this November. It has been cold here also (-30F), but they are laying everyday. I started feeding them layer ration at about 17 weeks, ths may have helped.

3. bigchrisb1985

bigchrisb1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Brookneal, VA
    One of mine just started about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure how old they are tho

4. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Mine were five months, two weeks for the first egg. Six months for regular laying by most of them. One who still doesn't lay (comb finally turned red in the last few weeks).

5. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I have a 6 BO's that are about six months old. A couple just recently started laying. The rest? nada. I have some RIR's that haven't laid yet, either. My BR is a month younger, and her comb is still tiny. I guess they're waiting for spring...?

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    The first ones started at 26 weeks and some still aren't laying. I get anywhere from 7-18 eggs a day. I have 24 hens BO's. They start to squat in front of you soon after their combs start getting big and red. After squat you'll start seeing eggs.
    But, We are much warmer. Although, I have not see a lot of sun lately. Cold fronts, warm fronts, they merge over my house and refuse to budge.

7. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I believe that ours started anywhere from 28-32 weeks. It seemed like forever, we noticed that the roosters started trying to mount them and their combs and wattles turned red and enlarged pretty quickly about the same time. We have some Blue Orps that are just starting to lay at around 40 weeks.

8. smiley

smiley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Thanks, everyone!!!

So, it looks like this is "normal" for buff orpingtons. They are not quite six months yet.

Their wattles are red and they do the squat thing but no eggs...... :-(

My fear is that they have decided to lay elsewhere as they are allowed to free range in our fenced in backyard.

I have fake eggs in the 3 nesting boxes (have 4 hens) so I am hoping they will lay in the boxes!!

Thanks again! I'll just have to continue the egg watch!! LOL

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

In vermont, Esther, my B.O. is 31 weeks tomorrow (sat)... still no eggs.

10. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Mine started laying just about on time, at around 20 weeks. But that was in the late winter/early spring and I'm sure the shorter days now will delay yours. We did have some additional lighting in the coop. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by