1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When did your chickens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiffrosef, Oct 16, 2014.

1. tiffrosef

tiffrosef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    How many weeks old were your chickens when they started laying? I have six older hens that are all about 21 weeks old (2 welsummers, 1 white brahma, 1 new hampshire red, 1 delaware, and one california white). I am hopeful they'll start laying soon.

What age were your chickens when you started getting eggs in your coop?

2. 1indian

1indian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2014
    Four months on the dot for my white rocks. Well, the first one laid the first day and after that it was an avalanche.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Your girls are most likely very close to lay. Do they do the "submissive squat" for you? If so, they are reeeely close to lay....as the old saying goes...."patience, grasshopper!" [​IMG]

4. tiffrosef

Jun 17, 2014
    They do! They squat when they seem happy lol. Also I have several fake eggs in my coop, and my Delaware loves to sit on them. I think she's going to be very broody.

5. tiffrosef

Jun 17, 2014
    I got my first egg two days ago from my California White Elsa!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by