1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When did your cockerels crow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by alyssaallycat, Jun 2, 2016.

1. alyssaallycat

alyssaallycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2016
    I have three chickens about 6 to 7 weeks old- an austrolorp, buff orpington, and an EE.The austrolorp chick gave something like a really loud squawk or a crow. They were *supposed* to be sexed pullets, but the austrolorp certainly looks the part of a rooster (combs and wattles significantly bigger than his/her flockmates, tiny spurs, etc.) I live in the Vancouver-Portland area, where city regulations say chickens are legal, but the HOA does not, so a couple of hens are fine as long as they are quiet, but a crowing rooster would probably draw the line. But can cockerels even crow at this age, or am I hearing things? What age did your cockerels crow?

2. Luanne Hott

Luanne Hott Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Blairsville, GA
    I have a Bielefelder roo who started crowing at 3 weeks! Granted it is not perfected, but he is working on it.

3. alyssaallycat

alyssaallycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2016
    He's a very overachieving roo!

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    My first rooster I ever hatched started crowing around his first few months (2 or 3 months.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by