When Did Your Hens Start Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new2chickens2011, Nov 11, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hello all,

I have BR, BA, BO, and NH hens who are 13 weeks old, and I was just wondering, for those of you that have those breeds, when yours started laying?
    Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since the "breeds" of these chickens are bred so differently by so many breeders and hatcheries, there are countless strains making generalities difficult even to speak of. With that caveat, here goes.

All your listed breeds are large fowl, heavier birds. Such birds take awhile to grow, fill out and develop. They don't "hurry" like a small frame hybrid like a sex link or a Leghorn. They are all likely to wait until somewhere around 22 weeks, which in this case means January, one of the two darkest months of the year. Sunlight is essentail for the eye to tell the brain to tell the reproductive system to function.

Barred Rocks vary from 20-25 weeks, BA are similar. NH were bred to mature a bit earlier, but I wouldn't guess before 22 weeks, while the BO will likely trail the pace at a full 25 weeks. It is also important to realize that even among the same breed, different individual birds will choose their own beginning time. You're looking at January all the way around. Maybe, just maybe, one of them will award you with a Christmas gift, but it would be a shock, really.

3. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Yup, January was what I was thinking would probably be the case. Thank you for all the info! [​IMG] I can't wait.

4. pokemonshop

pokemonshop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2011
    4-6 months of age they lay every day, I make them exercise by chasing them seems to lay better when they exercise [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] plus I... [​IMG]

5. kjpanda

kjpanda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I have 2 laying Plymouth Rock's, just over 32 weeks old; both have been laying for almost 11 weeks. I also have 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Australorps, both almost 31 weeks old. Both pairs are from the same batch of chicks. One of each has been laying for almost 10 weeks, the other two haven't laid a single egg. The non-laying Barred Rock's comb and wattles are just starting to get bigger and get some red color to them. The non-laying Australorp's comb is still very small and barely even pink. She hardly has any wattles either. It might be time for some chicken soup before winter sets in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by