1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When did your Red Stars start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nikki28, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    My girls are only 9 weeks now. But McMurrays site said to expect eggs at 22 weeks, so I was just wondering what every one elses experience has been with them. Thanks!

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    I got my girls from them as well. And though I dont remember exactly...it was something like that. Maybe 20 weeks. Do a vent check and if its swollen or wet-ish, there gonna start.

3. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ours started laying at about 23 weeks... but we're not positive about age, as we got them from someone else who got them from a hatchery [​IMG]

4. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Mine started laying about 5 to 5 1/2 months

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  5. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    Mine started at about 5 months too. Their combs and wattles got larger, and all of a sudden.... eggs! Oh... and one was confused and acted like a roo for a while, but after she laid her first egg she stopped having gender issues.

6. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Great! I'm glad to hear that is the norm. I was reading about some people with BR and RIR that waited 7 - 8 months for eggs, I can't wait until my girls start to lay hopefully it will be in March. Thanks for all of the input!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by