1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do ameraucana hens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SeismicWave9, Oct 14, 2016.

1. SeismicWave9

SeismicWave9 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    I have an Ameraucana hen who is 25 weeks old and she hasn't laid an egg yet. When does this breed typically start laying?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm no expert on the breed, but she should be about to lay relatively soon. Chickens sometimes forget to read the small print on their breed characteristics [​IMG]

Signs of imminent laying include a reddening of the comb / wattle, submissive squatting when you approach and spending some time checking out nesting boxes.

1 person likes this.
  3. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    I have three Easter Eggers (sold as Ameraucanas) that are 6 1/2 months. One started laying at 5 months, one at 6 months, and still waiting on the third. Her comb is finally reddening so maybe soon.

4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Same here. My 4 are 6 1/2 months old and one of them has just started laying in the last week or so. The earliest started at about 17 weeks.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you got your birds from a hatchery/farm store/or less than reputable breeder....
    ....they are more likely to be EE's than Ameraucanas, pics of birds could confirm or deny breed.

Because EE's are a mixed, they vary greatly as to onset of lay. as well as consistency of lay.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
    Squatting:
    If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
    Tho not all birds will do this, especially if there's a cockbird in the flock.
    This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
    Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

1 person likes this.
  6. SeismicWave9

Sep 19, 2016
    [​IMG] she hasn't started squatting and her comb isn't bright red, so I guess that means she isn't ready to start laying yet.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What a cute pullet.....My answer is: She will lay once she matures..Every bird matures at a different rate....Do not worry...I will say another month before she starts thinking about laying...

Cheers!

8. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I have 6 Easter Eggers who are about 24 weeks now and have not started laying. I have one Red Star who is giving me an egg per day, and that's it for my flock of 16!

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Easter Egger, and she has about another month of maturing to do before she's ready to lay.

10. SeismicWave9

Sep 19, 2016
    I hope so. I bought 2 but 1 ended up being a rooster. He hasn't crowed so I'll be keeping him. Then I can breed my chickens if I end up with a broody hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by