When do babies get treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsemma, Aug 27, 2014.

1. mrsemma

mrsemma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hello everyone!

So I'm curious how old were your baby chicks when you first gave them treats and what did you give them?
    Our babies are 3 weeks old and I tried some watermelon yesterday. It was not a smashing success, but watching them chase each other over one little piece even though there was a whole huge chunk over there was quite entertaining!!
    Also they have gone outside twice and picked at some of the weeds and played in the dirt. Only one baby was trying to give her self a dust bath, it was also adorable! Having fun watching them grow so far!

Have a great day!
    Emma

1 person likes this.
  2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
  3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

At three to four weeks you are where I try to teach them there are other things in the big wide world to eat. Time to give them some chick grit at well. Grit and treats go hand in hand, purchased feed does not require grit, but all of the grains and such do. I make sure before they get a lot of greens that they have it as well. Mealworms are a major hit, and best when you hold them for them to snatch them from your hand. Teaches them that you are where treats come from… which you will be glad for later on.

Don't over do treats, if you can help it, just enough to 'excite' them and you will know when it happens by the chirping sound you will hear. Have fun, try lots of things, and make sure to offer things they don't take to at first again. It seems that their tastes change as they get older.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by