When Do Baby Chicks Eyes Start To Change Colour?

-Flash-

Free Ranging
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
When do baby chicks eyes start to change colour? Like they hatch with murky green eyes, so when do their eyes change colour to red/orange or whatever?

My D'Uccle's eyes started to change at around 3-4 months I think? Not sure about my other chickens. The change is so gradual, you don't really notice it at all. You only see a change when you look at older photos.

It happens much sooner than that. I can see color changes between weeks 4 to 5, 5 to 6, etc.

Just glancing at old photos I can see my Speckled Sussex for example going from blue-grey at 4 weeks, and 1 week later there's already a transition to greenish-orange (as orange starts to take over). By around 6 or 7 weeks they should be pretty close to adult color.

It happens much sooner than that. I can see color changes between weeks 4 to 5, 5 to 6, etc.

Just glancing at old photos I can see my Speckled Sussex for example going from blue-grey at 4 weeks, and 1 week later there's already a transition to greenish-orange (as orange starts to take over). By around 6 or 7 weeks they should be pretty close to adult color.
Huh... so for my babies soon!

Back
Top Bottom