When do bantam cochins start to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Sep 5, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've got a bantam cochin pullet. I'm not 100% certain of her age but she's around 5 months old.

Do bantam cochins start to lay about the same time (20 weeks) as standard hens? [​IMG]

2. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    My little girls started laying at 21 weeks. Now at 25 weeks we get 4-6 eggs a day from the 10 of them. Be on the lookout! A couple of them got broody last week (out of the nest boxes) so I am working on getting them to find the boxes and use them.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    My bantam cochin was about 2 weeks behind my standard hens. However she just went broody about 2 weeks ago. She is about 6 months old.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh great - cochins are insta-broody? LOL. If the same holds true for my girl, she'll go broody right as the standards are starting to lay and she'll keep them out of the nesting box. They're a month younger than she is.

I watched her this morning keep 3 standards who are all bigger than her away from the cornmeal treat I'd given them.

Feisty little thing, she is! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by