When do Barr Rocks start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cajunchic, Jul 6, 2011.

1. cajunchic

cajunchic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and new to having chickens, so I apologize for any "stupid" or repeat questions in advance.[​IMG] My oldest girls are right at 21 weeks old and some are barr rocks (all of them were suppose to be girls and all of them were suppose to be barr rocks but we are finding this not to be the case). Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with barr rocks and was wondering at what age did they start laying? I will also soon be posting in the "What is it?" thread...to any of you that can help me identify my "mystery" chickens! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    most hens lay at 18-20 weeks. some much longer. and this heat may be delaying egg laying. any stress that they are under can delay laying.

3. cajunchic

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks!

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Cajunchic,

Welcome.

When I got my Barred Plymouth Rock pullets in April, the seller told me that they were 5-months old. They started laying when they were 6 months...so I had them 1-month before laying. (I was kind of glad, though that they weren't laying because I wormed them in that time, and the eggs would have be inedible by humans.)

They are great birds! Lots of folks just love them.

It will be interesting to see what your other chickens turn out to be.

5. cajunchic

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks Kat! Out of all of my chickens they are the friendliest! They are sweethearts! I'm very interested to see what my other chickens may turn out to be also![​IMG]

6. CajunWildTurkey

CajunWildTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Yes dear they all are sweethearts except for Chickzilla.

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I have seven pullets, and the first started right around 22 weeks. The others have been squatting but haven't laid, but it is probably due to the heat. It is supposed to cool down next week, so I'm hoping they'll start laying.

8. cajunchic

Apr 13, 2011
    DH says that he saw some of them squatting. I'm worried about them being too hot! We have two fans in their coop that they have access to anytime they want and DH built a few extra places in the yard for them to get shade. Is there anything else that I can do to be sure that they aren't getting too hot?

9. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    My BR did not start laying until 8 months old. It is the only one that I have ever had so I assume this is not typical. All the other hens started laying months before her and I was starting to think that something was wrong, but she has been very consistent since then. I think it had something to do with her being the bottom of the pecking order but this is just my guess.

10. cajunchic

Apr 13, 2011
    Oh my word! I sure hope that I don't have to wait that long...although sometimes it feels like it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by