When do black australorp hens get a redder comb?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fiddlebanshee, Nov 18, 2011.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    One of my australorp chicks is 9 weeks old on Sunday and is getting red in her comb. Is she a he?

I will try to make a picture of him/her tomorrow and post but thought that perhaps someone could share their experiences with how fast australorp hens are getting color in their comb. I do not really see wattles yet, and the hackle feathers, as far as I can tell are not pointy, but this is one of the chicks that doesn't like to be touched, so with the all black feathers it's hard to tell what the shape of the hackles is. Of course he/she is too young for saddle feathers.
    I haven't heard anybody crow yet.

The chick was bought as a pullet from Meyer hatchery, but of course there's a margin of error.

2. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Mine Black Australopr is 8 weeks old on Monday and is pinkish/ red- not bright but def noticable. She got pink wattles pretty early on, 4 weeks if I remember, but they are not large just noticable... I asked about it and many said their BA hens got pink early. I will look forward to your pictures- I planned on taking some pics of mine again at 10-12 weeks for a re-check here.

Mine also stands real tall, and her tail is very upright.. I am crossing my [​IMG] that mine is a girl... she's pretty mellow and her feathers are so silky soft compared to the other breeds.

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks, I tried to get pictures but the darn bird will not pose at all. All I got were some blurry pics of fluffy tail feathers as she turned. She must be a secret agent -- no pictures allowed!

I also noticed that the at least one of the other two BA's are also turning pinkish so perhaps it is just a BA thing.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Some pullets do pink early. The big difference I noticed with my early-pinking girl (a Speckled Sussex) and my cockerel (EE) was that the cockerel went from light pink to red in one week's time and had a noticeably growing comb while the girl just went a little pink with minimal growth for weeks and weeks and weeks. So, unless the pinking is accompanied by big changes, I wouldn't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by