When do bobs start laying almost 1 yr old birds

bbqsfarm

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
So I hatched quail last May and June and am wondering about when they will start laying this year? I am in Oregon Willamette Valley.

Excited to hatch some more eggs!

Also how much added light do I need to start them laying early? I put in a string of 70 Christmas lights that are clear. Will this work? Trying to encourage egg laying sooner rather then later (LOL). I know the hours per day needed but wondering how much extra light is needed.

I also have 2 males and 5 females in one coop would it be a bad idea at this point to introduce another male from the other coop I have?

Last do the Ten. Reds breed only red or can they have regular bobs also. I have one coop of all reds.

Thanks for the info as usual.

So I hatched quail last May and June and am wondering about when they will start laying this year? I am in Oregon Willamette Valley.

Bobs will begin laying the first april/may after they have reached appx 30 weeks of age. So since you hatched them right at last years breeding time, they will breed right on schedule in may this year.

Excited to hatch some more eggs!

Also how much added light do I need to start them laying early? I put in a string of 70 Christmas lights that are clear. Will this work? Trying to encourage egg laying sooner rather then later (LOL). I know the hours per day needed but wondering how much extra light is needed.

Getting bobwhites to lay under artificial light is a bit of an undertaking. You need to establish full light cycles and stick to them. There a lot of research papers available from universities like Davis, if you google raising bobwhites commercially, you will find plenty of info on light cycles for bobwhite. It's not like coturnix where you turn on a light and they start popping out eggs. Keep in mind birds kept under artificial light cycles tend to have shorter lives.

I also have 2 males and 5 females in one coop would it be a bad idea at this point to introduce another male from the other coop I have?

Bobs breed best in 1:1 pairs, but are often kept in trios with 1:2 males:females.
I would introduce the new rooster slowly to one hen and pair them off for breeding season. If you don't separate them the roosters will and possibly even the hens will engage in very aggressive and often fatal behavior.

Last do the Ten. Reds breed only red or can they have regular bobs also. I have one coop of all reds.

This depends on the genetics of your birds, what recessive genes they carry. It is possible for regular bobs to put off red and vice versa but this will depend on how your birds have been bred.

Thanks for the info as usual.

Back
Top Bottom