1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do chickens Breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by savilcr, Jul 19, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    if I have a RIR rooster and a few hens, what time of year will they breed and hatch baby chicks? how do I know when to not take eggs out of the nest? will they breed anytime of year?

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    They breed constantly. The rooster is a slut.

1 person likes this.
  3. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    unless the hens go broody (stay on the eggs) take them out to incubate or eat.

hens can be sluts too

1 person likes this.
  4. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    Chickens sit mostly from March to September.
    Some breeds can start as young as five months old but most breeds normally begin about 8 to 10 months.
    I would wait until 9 months or so at least. Most hens will not allow the advances of the rooster until after the first few eggs have been produced. Most Roosters are ready to breed around 6 months or so. Once fertilized it takes approx. 21 days to hatch. RIR's are not very broody birds so they may not want to sit on their eggs.
    When the hens first start laying, usually eggs are NOT fertile; however, after a clutch they are usually fertile. You may still be able to incubate and hatch eggs after proper storage if you take them out within four to five days. They are in a dormant mode.
    You can candle the eggs to check for fertility... also look on your hens back... they often have feathers missing from the center of their backs if they have been fertilized by your rooster. You can't tell if an egg is fertilized by candling unless you have incubated it and it's started developing. With practice you can tell by finding the white spot on the yolk. Fertilized eggs will have a clearly defined bulls eye, unfertilized the spot will have a fuzzy look to it.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_know_if_the_eggs_you_get_from_your_hens_have_been_fertilized#ixzz1SYfAfWxx

Good Luck.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by