1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do chickens lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmantoo1, Jun 30, 2007.

1. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    i have 15 rirs pullets that are 20 weeks old. i thought they would lay soon but i read it takes 24 to 26 weeks is this true/ whitch is right:he

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

(You'd probably have better luck with answers if this was in a more relevant section.)

20 wks is probably the earliest you could hope to expect eggs from a RIR. Leghorns have been bred to be light, fast growing, and the first to lay at around 19-20 wks (often earlier); RIRs are larger, slower growing birds, that will start laying slightly later but may lay reliably for much longer. So I'd say yes, 24 wks is a much more reasonable time to expect your first eggs (though any time after 22 wks is likely). Either way, you don't have long to wait!

3. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    thanks

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It really can vary. I have three RIR's that are over a year old now. The first two began laying in their 19th week, but the third didn't start till maybe 23 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by