When do chickens molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poodlepill, Jul 3, 2010.

1. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Mine are 18 weeks and 14 weeks old, just curious when is they're first molt?

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    whenever they feel like it [​IMG] well it depends [​IMG]

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Chickens molt anytime you want to do the following

Show them
    Sell them
    Show them off to your friends that want to see what your snobby heritage breeds look like
    They have access to outdoors and sunburn from being out there
    When you need eggs the most
    When you want that last dozen to set for a customer
    In general anytime you really really need them not to

On a more serious note, it is generally beleive that they will molt somewhere around 16 to 18 months of age.

I had a bunch of RIR molt at 12 months but I think I sort of forced that with a change in lighting (live and learn)

I am talking about the first hard molt, they molt off the fluff and juvenile feathers and on and on when they are young. I have young cockerals that are dreadfully ugly right now as they are molting their neck feathers and growing in their adult hackles. Sort of a constant molt when they are young.

I am sure a bit of a google will give you a more specific molting process than this rather long rambling observation of annoying poultry habits.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  4. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Ahhhhh OK I didn't realize it was random, thanks. So when my cute little "city girl" niece that LOVES animals and wants to be a country girl and collect eggs with me will see nekkid chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by