When do chickens start laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bcjlemaire, Apr 26, 2017.

1. bcjlemaire

bcjlemaire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Castle Rock, CO
    Hello,
    We have Bantams and Dixie Rainbows (or is it Rainbow Dixies?) . We have 6 of them and are new at this. We're having fun learining, thought! They are about 7 to 8 weeks old now and we're getting ready to put them in a coop. However, we live in Colorado and the weather will sometimes still get to freezing at night and we get snow this time of year. Supposed to get some snow this Saturday (That's called Springtime in the Rockies!) So, I'm just worried that its too cold to put them outside, unless we have a heater set up? And I don't know when they start laying eggs. Can someone help me with this? I know Bantams lay smaller eggs? And are a smaller bird. Because they Dixies are way bigger than the Bantams.

Thanks so much.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chicks can handle any of those temps at 8 weeks of age if acclimated. Put them out.
    Most breeds begin to lay between 18 and 26 weeks of age. They start earlier between winter and summer solstice than they do after summer solstice. Decreasing day length delays onset of lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by