When do chicks develop into roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shelbycobra, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Shelbycobra

Shelbycobra New Egg

Dec 9, 2008
    [​IMG] Hello, My Chicks are two months old now. Hatched 2/14. When do I know if any of my chicks will be roosters. I bought all pullets but the feed store said that I had a 10% chance of getting a rooster or two. So far everyone looks like a hen.

Thank You!
    Renee

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    post some pics and we'll help ya sort it out. [​IMG]

edited to say, [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    What is their breed? Some are easier to tell at younger ages, you may be able to tell now. Id pay attention to the combs and the tail feathers. Both will be small but a rooster's should be a bit bigger when compared to a hen. Maybe you do have all hens?!

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Last year I bought 40 chicks and 2 are cockerels. So i got 38 0f 40 pullets... Good luck.

5. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Well ...if you have roosters.... they have always been roosters. [​IMG]

There are some pretty talented sexers on this site. If you send a good picture they will be able to tell you.

If they all look exactly alike at 8 weeks ... I bet you are safe.

Good Luck!

6. Yontz710

Yontz710 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    How early can you tell Frizzle's and Mille d uccle's?

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, by this time you should see some pink/red color on the faces of any males......Pop

8. UrbanFarmChix

UrbanFarmChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Well my Mille Fleur D'Uccle rooster crowed when he was 3 weeks old. We had already been suspecting him because his comb was much more developed and red. Now I have to find him a new home. He's 9 weeks old and still living in our living room. [​IMG] Someday the larger coop will be built. [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My 26 week old Ameraucana has yet to crow or do the dance, but he certainly looks like a roo.

10. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    What does it sound like when they first start trying to crow? I have a couple I am suspicious of, but I went through this last year with my BA's. I still wonder about them sometimes, but I know they are all laying eggs, and as far as I know science hasn't yet discovered a way for males to experience the 'joy' of giving birth. ANYway, I have one that makes a funny sound when I walk in the chicken room, but I am starting to think it might be my most loving chick asking for me to come and cuddle her. She loves me more than any chick I have. Just wondering what they sound like when they first start trying to crow.... any help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by