When do chicks fly?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nature Watcher, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Nature Watcher

Nature Watcher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Hi,
    We have five fifeteen day old chicks. [​IMG]
    I was wondering when they will start flying. [​IMG]
    Any anwser would be appriciated.
    Thanks

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you consider flying? Leaping into the air and landing 3 feet away? Mine could when I moved them into the coop at 4 weeks. Didn't have room to before then, so I don't know if they could earlier [​IMG]

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Mine are about 15 days old and they're already starting to fly! They're flying across the brooder at one another and bumping chests! Its hilarious to watch.

Laurie

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I think as soon as their primary wing feathers start growing in they will start flapping around...

5. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I have a Silkie chick who is 4 weeks old, hops or jumps around but not really flying. The other is a two week old White Faced Black Spanish mix chick. At a week and a half I could her her jumping around in there. I watched and she actually was looking up cocking her head giving the opening a good look and flying up. The little sh*t was aiming for the opening. [​IMG] I ended up putting chicken wire over the opening and she hasn't done it since. Too smart for its own good. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    When I got my chicks they were about two or three weeks old.

One of them, Feathers was already very active and flew onto everything possible and even managed to wangle her way out of the brooder!

Eggie the other chicken just sat around lazily.

It's very entertaining to watch little chicks play [​IMG]

7. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    My chicks are about 3 weeks old. For the past week, they've been zooming across the tub (brooder) at each other. A few days ago, I found some (a few suspected boys) playing "King of the MOuntain" with the waterer. Yesterday, the troublemaker Naken Neck figured out he could fly to the edge of the tub, and many of the others followed him. If that's what you mean by flying.

8. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    How much featering do they have?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  9. Nature Watcher

Nature Watcher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Yes, I mean just starting to fly. When they don't go very far at all. Ours are about 17 days old and they are starting to "test thier wings". So they should start at about 4 weeks? I will get pics. of the featering for you.
    Thanks. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  10. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    my bigger chicks started flying at about 3 weeks old, and my bantams started at about 4 weeks. now they are all over the place lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by