When do chicks get their big girl voices?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littlemissjellyfish, Jul 5, 2010.

1. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    I was surprised when My EE "Bun-Bun" let out something more like a *cackle* than the usual *chirrup* or *peep* Is this normal or do I have a roo on my hands? My chicks are 4 weeks old today!

2. barredrockgrl

barredrockgrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    Mine just stopped peeping two weeks ago (13 weeks?). They slowly transitioned from peeps to strangled sounding cackles and within about a week they were making big girl noises exclusively.

3. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere
    mine started at twelve week making strange cackling noises then about 2 weeks later they where all cackling like the rest of my big girls .

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Hens loose their baby voices first, the roosters loose them later. One of my 14 week old roos still peeps!

5. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I have 4 BR Pullets and 1 BR Roo that are PROBABLY 9 weeks old. The Roo makes what sounds like bug boy noises when I pet him. Sorta "Oh maaaaan, I don't know if I like this touchy stuff." It's scratchy and high pitched, almost puberty like. A couple of the pullets were making big girl sounds today while free ranging, not exclusively, but I heard it once in a while. The other two are still peepers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by