When do chicks grow spurs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chichi56788, Aug 9, 2010.

1. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I was holding my 2 month old silkie who I think is a boy when I felt something weird on his leg. It was a bump just above its 5th toe. He had one on his other leg too. Are these spurs? And does that mean he is a boy? And my other silkie the same age who I thought was a girl did not have any.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Many girls also have spurs when grown, and spur bumps are on all birds. Most of my males haven't got real spurs until about a year old. Nubs until then, if they're lucky.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    You are now about to be very confused!

Some boys grow them very early....like RIR's. Some girls get them. Some boys just get pathetic little bumps without a claw like my Brahma boys....over a year old.....so much depends on the variety of chicken.

Sandie

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't have roos, and have never had a hen grow spurs till this year.
    My older 4-5yo GLW (Head Hen) has grown a spur on one leg only. Kind of surprised to see it.

Imp

5. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Im just trying to determine which one is a boy and which is a girl. [​IMG] It is going to be harder than I thought

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With silkies, you may not be sure until the first egg or the first crow. Some silky roosters stay effeminate for a long time. All chicks have spur bumps. Some are just more noticeable than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by