when do chicks out-grow their cardboard condo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fargosmom, Feb 7, 2009.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Our 4 chicks are a month old now (2 BRs and 2 EEs). They're doing fine right now but I'm concerned they'll outgrow their digs before it's time to transition them outside. From what I've read they should be about 3 months before moving outside . . . but the box they're in is roughly a 30 inch cube. Will that still be big enough for 4 chicks at that age? I don't think I can fit a bigger box in my house; is it possible to move them outdoors sooner if the weather is really nice? What temps would be safe?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have mine in the garage in a box that is 4 ft by 5 ft by 3 ft. They are 5 weeks old. I have lots of shavings in there and a heat lamp.
    I have another box about 2 by 2 ft inside and they sometimes get in there and sometimes just spread out. They have been in the garage for about a week.

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    well I take mine at 3 WEEKS not MONTHS [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    It just kind of depends on your weather, and your personal preference, as well. I moved mine out at 2 months old, and we didn't even have the coop finished. We just put a big plastic tub on it's side in the fenced in area for protection against the elements. Just make sure if you do move them outside at a younger age that they have enough shavings/straw/heat lamps to keep warm. Although at two months I think they are old enough to withstand temps as low as what-maybe 55 or 60? So it's not like they are as venerable anymore.

5. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    So as long as night temps are say mid-50s or higher they should be ok? 2 months sounds much more practical for our setup . . . and by March the weather should be good. Yay! We're building the coop this weekend (or at least starting) so by the time it's finished we'll be on our way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by