When do cockerels' combs turn pink?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lisahaschickens, Mar 5, 2009.

1. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I am new to chickens and have been hearing that cockerels' combs turn pink, while pullets' combs stay yellow longer. Is this true, and if so... when do they first turn pink? Or is this only true on some breeds? My babies are nearly 4 weeks old and none have pink combs, but I'm pretty sure at least one is a roo....

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i had one that was eight days old and it was very close to red.... are any of them larger?

3. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    yes, I've been trying to figure out my sexes for a long time. I have six straight run Cuckoo Marans along with 6 EEs and 3 Buff Orps that are all supposed to be pullets. Of the Marans, one is really huge and lighter-colored and from the pics, everyone on here seems to agree he's a little roo. The others get mixed opinions from their pics and they are of varying sizes and personalities and colors. They all have some comb growth and it is still yellow on all of them. It's no big deal if I don't figure it out until they're older... it's just fun to try to figure it out.

4. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    you did post the pics?

5. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    yep in other posts here they are again:

the one people think is a boy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the others, some people think they are all girls, some think half and half:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Of the 5 in question (the first looks like a cockerel to me, too), here are my guesses:

#5 pullet, all others most likely cockerels

7. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    hmmm... man oh man. I've been afraid I have all boys... but who knows. I want at least one girl and I'll be satisfied. On my other posts, I have votes for 5 girls 1 boy, 3 girls 3 boys, and now 5 boys 1 girl. It sure will be interesting to see...

8. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    p.s. Covenant Creek - what are the deciding factors for your guesses about my chicks? I'm just curious and trying to learn.

9. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    the head spots and color -- females usually have a well defined spot on their head while the spots on the males have a tendency to go every which way, and the females feather out darker than the males

several of them are dark enough that I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to be pullets, but the head spots really made me think they're mostly cockerels

if the kids are almost 4 weeks now, you should be able to see the difference in their combs within 2 weeks -- this is one of my boys at about 6 weeks
    [​IMG]

here's the pullet for comparison
    [​IMG]

10. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    deleted unintended duplicate post

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by