When do cockerels start getting 'personal' with hens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horseychick2, Sep 28, 2011.

1. horseychick2

horseychick2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Monroe, NJ
    I was wondering how old a cockerel can be to start fertilizing eggs. Does anyone know?

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

They start getting cocky way before the pullets start being willing. [​IMG]

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    approx 18-20 weeks... and YES, Ditto--- way before the pullets are willing.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, they can start getting personal way before they become fertile! They usually become fertile between 16-18 weeks of age, but sometimes, they engage in mating activity way before that, like my 10 week old cockerel mating his very patient broody mama, LOL.

5. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:That's just wrong......naughty boy, lol.

6. horseychick2

Jul 25, 2011
    Monroe, NJ
    lol Thanks! I have an 11 wk cockerel and wanted to know when i could get little chicks if i had laying hens.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Trying and succeeding are two different things. [​IMG] I've read that fertility becomes reliable at 5-6 months but if you see him before then making the delivery...

8. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Mine wanted to "fertilize" eggs at about 14 weeks. I had to seperate them from the girls because they were rather mean about it too. After the girls reached 20 weeks I put one boy back in with them and decided to keep the other in my yard as a "guard Chicken!"

9. horseychick2

Jul 25, 2011
    Monroe, NJ
    Yea he's already tried to lol

10. Sailing Dede

Sailing Dede Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bradwell-On-Sea
    Speckled hen, I had the same thing happen with my last batch that hatched. 5 chicks, 3 boys, one obviously more dominant.
    He also happened to be the largest of the young cocks.
    When I was doing the rounds one evening I heard a terriable panicked sqwark comming from the broody cage.
    When I turned round to see what was going on I was shocked at what I saw.
    The dominant 6 week old roo had mounted his mother!
    When he eventually got off she raised herself up, standing tall above him and pecked his little head 3 times, each time making him go lower and lower to the ground.
    As it turned out his punishment wasn't severe enough, as 10 minutes later the exact same process repeated. Including the indignified head pecking.
    I think his only saving grace is that he is a legbar hatched out by a peking/cochin bantam, so they are not related by blood.
    So only a bit disturbing. He must be picking things up from all the big roos on the field [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by