1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do cocks start to crow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by macleods14, Oct 10, 2008.

1. macleods14

macleods14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2008
    uk
    i have been told that i have 2 buff orpington cocks who are about 10 weeks old.

when will they start to try and crow in the mornings

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Only time will tell.
    I have three cockerels. One started crowing at 8 weeks, one at 13 weeks and the last one at about 20 weeks.

eta They might choose to crow more through out the day then just in the morning. Two of mine crow all day.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  3. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I have a SLW cockerel that is about 4 months old, and no crowing yet, but it seems like he's trying. I've always heard it can be around the same time as when the hens first start laying (5-to-5&1/2 months).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Its an individual thing. I've heard of them crowing as early as a few weeks. Personally mine have usually started about 4-5 months or so, just as they are reaching sexual maturity and starting to eye the hens.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    My EE "Martok" (his comb looks like a Klingon forehead) started trying when he was about 6 weeks. Sounded like a little gurgle at first. Now he is 8 weeks and not much better at it, but he tries.

Here he is:
    [​IMG]

6. SierraMA

SierraMA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have a BO rooster too. I got him at 4 months and he was already crowing when I got him. So now he is about 6 months and he crows all day long! I don't mind it and no one has complained yet.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My buff orpington started to crow at 15 1/2 weeks old.

8. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

My standard blu Cochin roo. is 5 1/2 mo. now and I'm still waiting and wondering when he will crow! He hasn't even tried yet. I just got a mature lrg blu Cochin roos. ( about 1 yr. old) from someone and he crows early AM, and a little during the day, so maybe the other one will learn from him.

9. lovethepeep

lovethepeep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    I've been wondering the same thing! My sister in law said that she heard one of mine crowing last night, not even 9 weeks old! I am not sure though....

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Do you have any older roosters with them that allready crow ?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by