When do drake feathers come in?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Dec 4, 2009.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have three runners and I really would like to know what I have. They'll be 2 months old on the 15th. The smallest one definitely quacks, but the other two aren't quacking yet. One of them has been quacking on and off since she/he was tiny, but this last week she's back to just peeping.

If I end up with 2 boys / 1 girl will I have to get rid of one or do you think they may be able to live together

2. eggybritches

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Pictures while we wait?

I think I will!

My babies:

[​IMG]
    August
    [​IMG]
    Trudy
    [​IMG]
    Hugo

3. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    It's been several years, but if I remember correctly drake feathers come in even after drake voices start to. I don't recall ever getting a chance to sex from those. Which duck are you uncertain about? I usually assume a quacking duck's a girl until proven otherwise. Trudy's gorgeous!

4. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i think its 5 months

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    or is that when the girls start to lay? im so dumb lol

6. pardygwyn

Nov 14, 2009
    Pfff, it's the blind leading the blind here. ;D I never paid attention to age, I always went by feathering. By the time they're as feathered as Peter's, the girls should be quacking when they get loud. Their happy/contented noises actually don't change all that much. That surprised me with my first duck.

Boys are comparably quiet once the side feathers and tail start growing in. They tend to "speak out" in longer, less frequent noises, too, instead of all the short, prolific noises that the girls retain. Even when they try to be loud, the most change they get until their wings really start coming in is a slightly rusty peep (I love teenage boy duck noises!). If you ever butcher, once you've seen the huge knuckle of bone and cartilage they have to grow in order to make their low noises, you'll understand why it takes them so long to develop their adult voice.

7. todd walker

todd walker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    E TX,Mabank
    I've only ever had mallards and around 4 1/2 months the color starts and by 5-5 1/2 months they are green heads.

8. eggybritches

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    The first two aren't doing anything but peeping still, the smallest, Hugo, has a definitive quack. Actually, I think she's part goose because it's more like a honk.

I just really don't want two males and a female, but it seems that's how it's going to turn out to be.

9. pardygwyn

Nov 14, 2009
    Is August the one you're not sure about? S/he seems to be getting the beak lightening I would expect of a darker-colored drake of that age. Hard to tell when I'm not around to watch them grow up, though. Definitely don't keep two boys and one girl, it'll be murder on the poor thing. ):

10. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    i seen this thing on ebay before that can sex ducks for you (or so it says), you point it at the duck (or egg) and it points one way for a girl and the other for a boy, not sure i believe it though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by