When do ducks start laying??

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
I have a Blue Swedish and 2 Runners. They are about 8 weeks old. When do they start laying? Are they like chickens? What about nest boxes, or will they just lay on the ground??

I got my ducks and chicks at the same time and they were the same age. I remember the chickens laying before the mama duck. But not by long. She is a mallard. They don't like nesting boxes off the ground. She usually lays her eggs in a small dog house in the run or if she's confined in the coop she will find an area and make a nest on the ground. Mine is notorious for stealing chicken eggs so watch out if you have chickens too. She actually sat on 25 RIR eggs last year! None hatched. Thank goodness! This year she sat on 6 of her own eggs and hatched 4!!!!!

Thank you for the response!
smile.png
I will definitely watch out for egg thievery!

They could start anywhere from 3-5 months, though usually at 4 or 5 months. If you keep them penned or cooped at night be sure to keep them in until at least an hour after sunrise since ducks tend to lay only early in the morning (once they get regular, at least). A three-sided box (with roof) on the ground would be preferred by them, as long as the nesting material is soft and kept dry (pine shavings, straw, leaves...). They do not need elevated nestboxes.
Keep an eye out for that first egg!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom