When do eggs reach full size?

juliejohnson805

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Central Alabama
I have 2 Jersey Giants and 1 Orphington that are around 8 months old. They started laying last month. Right now I am getting 1 every other day from the Orph nice large creamy colored egg and 1 every other day between the 2 JG that is small and brown. The JG eggs are mostly yolk with not much whites in them. Please tell me this is not going to be their 'normal'!!! If not, how long should I wait before I rehome?

It can take weeks and even months for egg size and production to regulate fully in a new layer. What are you currently feeding your flock? Is water available at all times?

First month or so when mine starting laying (last July) the eggs were very small (peewee weight). Then they graduated to medium size. By weight. They molted in October, stopped laying and started laying again mid-January. Now their eggs are size large. I am very proud of my chickens and my lovely eggs.

What are you currently feeding your flock? Is water available at all times?
They get a layer feed pellet that is 16% I think its Nutrena but not sure(DH buys) and scratch corn daily. Every couple days they get kitchen scraps of veggies and meat, crushed egg shells and some fruit. They free range 3-4 days a week. Water is refilled daily and it has ACV in it about 1t to a gallon. We also keep some oyster shell out if they havent had any egg shells lately. I give them a few meal worms by hand once a week.

Like OGM said.... it can take months....to get up to a 'Large' sized egg.

I'd cut out the ACV...not necessary and they may drink more without it in the water.

Back
Top Bottom