1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do eggs start to pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by claraserena, Mar 7, 2007.

1. claraserena

claraserena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    HOw do figure the countdown to hatch? The first day my boody sat on the eggs was Thursday, Feb 22. So should I expect something to hatch Thursday March 15th? That would actually be the 22nd day. And on what day does the pipping start? I'm on Spring Break next week so want to be sure to be home as much as possible. If the pipping is going on with the mom setting on the eggs will I even be aware of it? I don't want to miss the blessed event(s)!

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    The rule of thumb is to count the 1st day when 24 hours has past. So If you set eggs on Thursday, you should expect chicks on Thursday three weeks later. They usually start to pip on the 20th day and work their way out during the 21st day. Broody hen are pretty accurate with timing. Incubators can vary due to artifical heat and humidity issues.

1 person likes this.
  3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    clarserena, The mother hen knows what is going on. She is turning the eggs and keeping humidty just right. I would never take a hen off her eggs while sitting, to candle or feed or whatever. You will know when she has little peeps when they peek out from under wings or under her breast or under her butt. After they hatch they need to dry under her and will come out when ready. Sometimes she will push the empty shells where you will see them also then you will know.

More fun than Christmas and being a little kid eh!

bigzio

1 person likes this.
  4. claraserena

claraserena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Thank you!
    Dumb question. Can they breathe under her?
    I know that newly hatched chicks should not be by pine shavings--I read that they will eat the shavings. But the Momma's "nest" IS pine shavings. So will she take care of that? And one egg might be two days behind the others--will she keep setting?

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    claraserena, She will be just fine on shavings. You can place paper shop towels or whatever kind you have on the shaving directly in front of the nest with chick feed and a chick waterer, mom will help the little ones, showing them the feed. Once they eat for a couple days you can remove the paper towels.

They can breathe fine under her. Sometimes a hen can accidently lay on one, but that happens sometimes with all animals and can't be helped. Good luck.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by