When do finches start eating by themselves?

new 2 pfowl

Crowing
Jan 13, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Greetings finch people, Sorry to jump in here with a question from a finch newbie!

I'm actually volunteering at a bird rescue and am taking care of a greenfinch (?) nestling, so this is a wild finch question.
This little guy is about 3 weeks old (I'm guessing!) and other nestlings I've cared for are usually at least trying to peck at seed themselves by now. I can't seem to get this guy interested in any food.

So, can you let me know when the usually start eating themselves? And, if you have any suggestions for encouraging him to eat, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

(This photo is from a week ago)

Attachments

• P1080547.jpg
    P1080547.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 140
Hey there! Oh, you're good. :)
I don't know much about finches--particularly baby ones--but whenever we found (usually starlings or sparrows) baby birds, we fed them canned dog food. And...then we kept feeding them canned dog until we set them free when they were ready (I think when they started growing in their wings). :p So, we fed them that mushy stuff too long, but they liked it, lol! Anyways, in case you didn't know, even when they leave the nest at first in the wild, their moms continue to feed them. How long after that? I'm not sure. Wouldn't think it'd be much more than a week..
As for encouraging him to eat, well, are you feeding him mushy stuff? If not, try giving him canned dog food, and still offer him seeds. Maybe offer him an earthworm in the food bowl? I have no idea.. I'm sorry I'm not much help. But I hope he starts eating better!
Best wishes,
Cara
:)

It's different for each little bird, especially if hand reared. I've hand reared Java finches which are a similar size and they are fully weaned by 7 weeks, though they don't fledge until around a month old. I've also just hand reared a little society finch and, even though I put it in with two adults (who were also hand reared) to show it what/how to eat it took forever to wean! A little finch usually fully weans at 6 weeks, but this baby didn't even start trying seed until at least that age and it was a couple more weeks before I wasn't giving it hand rearing formula. It's very cute though.

Learning what to eat is mostly through observation of the parents so it can be more difficult for hand reared babies. It is instinctive though so eventually your baby will figure it out. Leave a millet spray or dry conditioning food close all the time so that it can start to pick at what's there (and those two foods are easy for them to eat). Soaked seed is also a good starter food as it's easier for them to crack the seeds.

Thank you Cara! I really appreciate your thoughts and input.

I'm feeding the little guy insectivore, which is a kind of paste made of ground up insects (yum). He can fly really well and wants to do more of it! But I can't let him out until he can eat by himself at least a bit.
I was recently caring for a sparrow and I let him out once he could fly and eat by himself, but he hung around nearby, chirped when I called him, and I kept feeding him for a week or so. When he was ready, he just flew off to be a completely free bird. Yay!

Thank you JaeG, this is really great and useful information. I'm really surprised that it takes finches so long to learn to eat!
I'm going to buy millet sprays today, but what is dry conditioning food?
And BTW, where are you? I'm near Wellington!

Thank you JaeG, this is really great and useful information. I'm really surprised that it takes finches so long to learn to eat!
I'm going to buy millet sprays today, but what is dry conditioning food?
And BTW, where are you? I'm near Wellington!

Your profile says California - what are you doing round Wellington? I'm in Auckland hoping for some rain to fill up our water tanks!

Conditioning food is also known as egg and biscuit food, Dutch formula, song restorer, or Softfood. You're supposed to add water to it but mine always ends up a gluggy mess so I just feed it dry. A pet shop will have it in the bird section. Here's a photo of some:
133368797.jpg

It looks like breadcrumbs with little, black round seeds in it.

Thanks for that info (and the photo!), I'll stop and get some.
And thank you for mentioning the millet spray, I should have thought of that myself. She's actually eating some of it already, I'm very excited!!

It sounds like you guys are going to be getting a lot of weather up there today!
The tanks will be full soon! :ya

Thanks for that info (and the photo!), I'll stop and get some.
And thank you for mentioning the millet spray, I should have thought of that myself. She's actually eating some of it already, I'm very excited!!

It sounds like you guys are going to be getting a lot of weather up there today!
The tanks will be full soon! :ya

Here's hoping! It hasn't started raining yet but looks like it's coming. We have a storm water culvert running through the back of our property so hopefully that won't flood too much. The resident eels might get swept away though - hopefully they'll make their way back as they get all the poopy chicken and quail eggs. The kids love cracking the eggs and watching the eels eat them.

Your profile says California - what are you doing round Wellington? I'm in Auckland hoping for some rain to fill up our water tanks!

Conditioning food is also known as egg and biscuit food, Dutch formula, song restorer, or Softfood. You're supposed to add water to it but mine always ends up a gluggy mess so I just feed it dry. A pet shop will have it in the bird section. Here's a photo of some:
133368797.jpg

It looks like breadcrumbs with little, black round seeds in it.

X2 on this suggestion. This is a great supplement food and yes I also agree with offering it dry.

Back
Top Bottom