When do Frizzles CURL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeeLeesFarm, May 29, 2008.

1. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Songster

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California

I'm wanting to start to thin my little flock of babies, as I will be keeping only the frizzled bantam cochins that I purchased from IDEAL, and so I wonder at what age can you tell if it will be a FRIZZLED bird?

At the age of 10 days old, I have some frizzle chicks with little wings which are extremely straight and longer than the curly babies, so will that definitely be a straight feathered bird?

Also note, if you live in the Los Angeles area, I will be selling the straight feathered babies for about $5.00 per chick ....
    for pick up only, since they are so small ....
    but I want to be certain that they will not be frizzled before I let them go.
    These will have the frizzle gene in them, if you want to breed frizzles.

Thanks everyone,
    Lee

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Songster

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    By a week to 10 days you should be able to tell by the wing feathers if it will be smooth or frizzled. I was able to tell by then on mine. Good Luck

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yup, they curl as soon as they come in.... if they're coming in straight then they are straight feathered and carry the frizzle gene. They are very useful if you are breeding as you should not breed frizzle to frizzle, as it results in skin and feather problems.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Friz/WhatMakesFriz.html

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Songster

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California

Thank you ....

I'm wanting to really tame and bond with the curly ones that I will be keeping, so I guess I will soon post the others for sale.

THANKS again,
    Lee

________

5. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Are you keeping only hens?

6. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Songster

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California
    ______

Quote:Yes, I will keep only hens, BUT I will only keep one red and one white ....
    I have purchased 6 red and 6 white, so there will perhaps be a hen or two with the frizzle, which will also need to go.

Lee

_______

7. Red

Red Songster

Mar 17, 2007
    I saw my first ever frizzle chicken the other day, and they look awesome! If i lived closer (make that in the same country [​IMG] ) i'd be up there like a shot - not that we have room for any more chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: