When do geese start laying?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bock, Jul 16, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have a 2 20 week old geese, one White Chinese and one Brown Chinese. I think the White Chinese is a goose and the Brown Chinese is a gander, but I am not 100% sure. This is my first time raising geese from babies, and I was just wondering when they start laying. I thought I heard somewhere their eggs are not fertile until they are 2 years old, is that true? Also, if they aren't fertile until one year, do the geese still go broody before then? Thanks ahead of time! [​IMG]

2. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Geese have a laying season from about spring-early summer. My geese all started laying their first year and I even hatched eggs from them with amazing success! My gander is a toulouse and my geese are white chinese. I'd say your's will probably be ready for next breeding season. [​IMG] Also, some geese will go broody at weird times - it depends on the goose. Mine went broody after she stopped laying eggs. Go figure!

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Oh good! [​IMG] I really didn't want to wait 2 years! I hope she goes broody next Spring. I love them both to death! [​IMG]

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    2 of my white Chinese just started to lay at 4 and 5 months of age the one has not, nor has my Romans

5. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    I had a Chinese go broody and hatch 2 goslings out of 5 eggs laid at less than a year old. She turned out to be a good mama. I'm glad, because I started to pull the eggs but I decided to let her set them since she really seemed to want to.

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Mine are now a year old and haven't laid yet, and now molting, so I'm guessing I'm waiting til next summer. [​IMG]

7. mattnnikki

mattnnikki Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    Hobart
    I have embden geese when do they start laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by