When do geese start laying?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Chikn-Chik, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    Some geese was given to me last May. One adult African gander, one adult buff Pomeranian saddleback goose, their year old offspring, and two, three week old goslings. I know the two older females should lay this year, but people are already getting eggs from their geese and I was wondering when mine should start laying . I am planning on raising some goslings. Any info will be helpful!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My geese usually start laying Late march or early April.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    They're seasonal layers for the most part and the day length is what signals them to start laying. Day length is increasing every where now so it's up to the individual geese now. Ours tend to start laying anywhere between late February and mid-March.

4. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    Where are you guys living? I'm in southern California, no eggs yet but its to my my first goose egged spring.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm in central Texas

6. Sean S.

Sean S. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    Our yearling sebbies are starting to think about it, Love has been in the air, and three nests are built here. It's probably very early for NY, but it has been a very mild winter thus far. No eggs yet from them, but the signs are there. The older embdens aren't showing any signs yet. They must be more experienced and aren't going to let mother nature fool them! =D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by