When do geese start to lay eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by allkindspoultry, Dec 14, 2013.

1. allkindspoultry

allkindspoultry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Texas
    I have a gander and 2 geese one goose is about 6 months the other one is about 1 year and the gander is about a year to when will they start to lay do they lay eggs like chickens everyday or like only during a season

2. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Geese definitely have a season, which starts as we come out of winter (jan/Feb in northern hemisphere), and if you let her raise her own, she´ll most likely just lay the required amount of eggs and sit, depending on the breed, too. Some are more inclined than others. The first eggs most likely won´t amount to anything. If you let her raise her own, she´ll most likely raise just the one brood. If you take the eggs away, she´ll lay more........the season´ll be finished by June, if not earlier.

3. goose4

goose4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    Our two brown Chinese hatched out a couple of goslings at the end of August. Luckily they were fully feathered by the time it started getting cold. They were a little over a year old. They were born in April of the previous year.

4. livininbrazil

Wow, that was late. That´s why i said "most likely", as there seem to be many exceptions. Mine have goslings in August, and it´s the southern hemisphere, it´s winter! [​IMG] Would April be normal for goslings to hatch where you are, or is that a little late too?

5. goose4

goose4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    Not sure but the feed store does not start selling them until April. I would prefer May.

6. livininbrazil

May would be quite late in the season in a lot of places, but you "may" be able to drag it out until then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by