When do guinea keets start to look like guineas?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by anjbagley, Jun 10, 2010.

1. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    Sorry, I am new to guineas! I ordered 4 french guineas from a hatchery and I suppose that I got them. I looked at pics and the keets looked similar to the "chipmonk" look of several chicks I got. I figured that when they started feathering I would know the guineas. Well, they are all 8 weeks old now and I do not have anything that is grey with spots. I still have several different shades of brown chicks that are all feathered but I am still not sure of their identity but, shouldn't the guineas feathers be coming in grey? Did I not recieve the guineas or does it take a long time for them to look like a guinea hen? What are some differences that I can look for. Sorry, I know that I am clueless. Thanks for any help.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mine first feather out a brown color, then they start getting in their grey spoted feather in the rear first a couple weeks later, within a month they are feather out like my older guineas, hope this helps

Here are some of mine they are diffefrent ages from 2 weeks to 2.5 months

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  3. anjbagley

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    Thank you so much. That was VERY helpful. I was starting to give up hope of really owning any.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    LOL I know what you mean. When my first guinea keets hatched, I looked at the little things in the incubator and said, 'these are guineas?" It seemed like it took forever for them to "grow up" but they did.

Have patience! You're lucky, they're over the fragile stage now!

Laurie

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Be aware that in between the cute "chipmunk" keets and the beautiful grey polka-dot adults is the really ugly adolescent phase.

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    That's a great photo. I can't wait till mine start to feather out and look more guinea-ish.

7. anjbagley

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    What a relief. Mine are in that "ugly adolescent" stage. I was beginning to think that the hatchery messed up and sent me some left over chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by